Monday, October 22, 2012

Going Batty with assessment

It's assessment time!  Our district has added Dibels this year so it's a little worrisome thinking about getting all my Dibels assessment done on top of our regular report card assessment.  Im trying to stay calm at home so I don't drive my husband crazy.  So far so good, but it's only day 1.  Wish me luck (or better yet, wish him luck).
My kiddos have loved learning about bats.  They are using big words like "echolocation."  One little guy even said "hey, there's a hiding word in echolocation....echo."  They love finding hiding words.  It makes my day to hear them apply these big words and share their new knowledge with their families.  

They loved bats so much I decided we had to make bat hats.  They turned out pretty cute considering I threw the project together the morning we made them.  I had 40 minutes to create and prep the project.  Luckily I already had a bat wing tracer from another project.  They LOVED them!



Tear art pumpkins

They are so funny



This was a take home project.  Students were to create a pattern around the edge of their pumpkin.  We shared our pumpkins and sorted them into clubs.  I hung the pumpkins in their clubs.

Our pumpkin clubs - it's hard to see the labels at the top but each club is labeled with the pattern name.


Sight word game - I hide the ghost behind a word.  Students guess a word and lift it up to check for the ghost.  We take turns reading the words until we find the ghost.  If they see the ghost, they say "BOO!"  My class loves this game.  

I made different pictures to use throughout the year.  I'll put the turkey up next month.  This is always a class favorite. I also use them with number cards.

I am beyond excited about these owl pellets.  I have never dissected them before but decided this was the year.  I was going to order them until I remember one of my dads is a park ranger.  I decided to ask him and this is what he brought me.  A Starbucks cup full of owl pellets and feathers!  I cannot wait for Halloween to be over because then we will have time to start dissecting.  More pics to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment